COME DANCE AND CELEBRATE WITH NALANI SUNSHINE! Saturday Oct. 5, 7pm-10pm Join MCDC for our next Saturday Dance Celebration on October 5 with Nalani Sunshine! Our extended dance journey will start at
COME DANCE AND CELEBRATE WITH NALANI SUNSHINE!
Saturday Oct. 5, 7pm-10pm
Join MCDC for our next Saturday Dance Celebration on October 5 with Nalani Sunshine! Our extended dance journey will start at 7pm and will include a sweet sound healing by Taya Raine. The event ends around 10pm.
MCDC’s dances take you through two musical waves, each offering a stimulating variety of styles and rhythms that steadily build into a crescendo where we can share our hearts and “sweat our prayers,” as Gabrielle Roth, the mother of conscious dance, called it. Our dances end in unity and peace.
Nalani has been dancing since a young age to find back her heart whenever life was challenging. She studied with a wide range of conscious dance teachers and is an apprentice of Amara Pagano’s work AZUL, which uses movement with a psycho-spiritual approach as the vehicle of exploration. “In dance I am home. In dance I am love. In dance I feel connected.”
Please bring plenty of water and wear clothes that allow you to move freely. We dance barefoot or wearing soft-soled shoes. You don’t need any experience to enjoy our events, just your open hearts!
MCDC dances at the Makawao Union Church Community Hall every Wednesday from 5:30 – 7:20pm and every other Saturday from 7-10pm. Donations are sliding scale $15 – $20. MCDC does not turn dancers away for lack of funds. Please inquire about available half-price work trades (take down at 10pm).
MCDC’S 7 CONSCIOUS DANCING AGREEMENTS:
1. SAFETY: We dance in a way that is intended to be physically safe for all. Please keep feet below the waist when lifting other dancers. We only allow children on the dance floor when they are held in arms.
2. CONSENT: We encourage you to savor your solo dances, especially in the beginning of the dance. We also invite you to dance with others and ask that you do so with explicit consent. Please use eye contact and other body language (hands, feet) to confirm that the other dancer is up for connecting. Many usually are!
3. RESPECT: Illegal substances, smoking and alcohol are not allowed on the Makawao Union Church property. Dogs are not allowed on the premises either.
4. SILENCE: Dancing is our chosen language and we thank you for your silence when possible on the dance floor. We also apply this intention to our facilitators, who are asked to use words sparingly.
5. JOY: Moments of spontaneous singing, circling, clapping and other expressions of joy happen often at our dances!
6. ANNOUNCEMENTS after dance are only for those of non-profit and communal concern. Please let us know in advance if you would like to make such an announcement.
7. SUPPORT: If you experience any difficulties on the dance floor, please find an MCDC team member and we will do our best to support you.
ABOUT THE MAUI CONSCIOUS DANCE COLLECTIVE: Founded by volunteers in 2014, MCDC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to nurturing the conscious dance community on Maui. We host facilitators from a wide variety of conscious dance forms. Join us if you want to serve your dancing community! We also appreciate your feedback and ideas.
(Saturday) 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Makawao Union Church
1445 Baldwin Avenue